It's quite simple, I play to win and nothing frustrates me more than being thrown into unwinnable games where:
- The matchup is BS. This happens a lot in QM because the matchmaking algorithm is incredibly borked and will generate terrible matchups like 3 Supports, 1 Specialist and 1 Warrior vs a more standard 2 Warrior 2 Assassin 1 Support comp where the unorthodox comp has nothing in the way of CC or peel. This also happens a lot in both Ranked and Unranked Draft modes. A lot of players who are last in pick order will refuse to fill roles for their own team and will deliberately sabotage the game by troll-picking. It's standard etiquette to fill in a MOBA and the fact that Blizzard does not ban players for doing this in a draft-dependent multiplayer game is asinine.
- Players refuse to do basic things like soak lane. Unlike other MOBAs where there is often a last hit macro mechanic and items to buy that will let you gain an edge over your opponents and carry your team to a win, HotS has none of this. You rely on your teammates being able to accumulate XP from a lane and in games where your teammates refuse to spread out to soak every lane or rotate, you will quickly lose from a snowballing XP deficit. I've had games since the 2018 HotS Meta update where I've lost in less than ten minutes from being 4 to 5 levels behind, and there has been nothing I could do about it. I try to tell these people politely to do things and my pleas either get ignored or met with animosity. That's what makes me lose my cool.
- Players recklessly place themselves in situations worthy of a Darwin award. For instance, I once had a demotion match on Sky Temple that went well. We were a level ahead, had an enemy keep pushed down and had won every team fight thus far. The game unfortunately got ruined by our E.T.C. tank who decided to try and solo a merc camp on the enemy side of the map without any kind of vision whatsoever, got ganked to shit in a 1v5, and died right before the altars were about to pop. This not only fed the enemy team a level and nullified our XP advantage, but also made us lose the subsequent team fight because we lacked a tank and made us outright lose the game because we wiped and the enemy team pushed our core. We tried to warn him via chat and pings that he was in danger and he chose to ignore us. As a result of this player's utter stupidity, I ended up getting demoted to a lower league. Can you really blame anybody for losing their shit and calling this person a fucking moron? Lately, I have also had perfect games where I haven't died once, did the most hero damage, did the most siege damage, landed a huge amount of kills and assists and soaked the most XP whereas my teammates have died 10+ times in a way that screams 'intentionally feeding.'
- Players who either disconnect or pull the plug on their internet connection. A lot of this can be boiled down to a bad game client or crappy netcode, but there are also players who will deliberately disconnect from a Ranked match as soon as it actually begins. Why? Because if they disconnect during the draft, they will lose 600 Rank Points as a leavers' penalty whereas if they wait for the game to start and ALT+F4 then, they'll only lose around 200 and will also screw over their team.
- Players who respond to your requests for help by telling you to shut the fuck up, get cancer, kill yourself, etc. This is the kind of toxic behaviour that Blizzard should be punishing.
I don't know why most of my matches are like this. I can't tell if it's because the EU server is a cesspool, because there has been a complete and utter brain drain from this game with more intelligent gamers flocking to better titles like PUBG and Fortnite, or because competitive players will only focus on the American or Asian servers. I used to play games like LoL and SMITE regularly and I never remember those games being this bad.
I think it could be a disconnect between server communities, because I played Overwatch Ranked on both EU and NA and had far better experiences with players actually using voice chat and working together only on NA whereas on EU you'd have people flame and hurl abuse in all kinds of languages.
I'd personally be playing HotS on NA if it didn't mean unacceptable latency and having to restart my account progression from scratch - because only Overwatch apparently deserves to have account progression and purchases transfer between servers because it's Blizzard favourite cash cow.
It's dumb that silences transfer between regions when actual progression doesn't. It's even dumber that in 2018 HotS doesn't have any sort of region transfer features, when other MOBAs have had this for years.