I'm tired of shitty captains who have no idea what they're doing. Here's my advice- pick the most OP shit you can get, build your team from there and take the easy Techies-free wins. I want to dedicate this to my try-hard solo queue brothers- May you all weather the storm and become the players you want to be...
Tier 1 means first ban, first pick shit, if a T1 is left in the pool, take it. Tier 1s have the potential to win games by themselves with little to no skill or effort on the part of the picking team. These heroes are dumb and easy enough to figure out after a pub game or two, so go learn them and get some guilt-ridden free all pick wins.
* Death Prophet - Go mid. Spam. Take towers. Win game. This is a reasonable hero to learn and practice your bottle-crow. Some say armor(Lich, Sven, Dazzle) counters this hero. If that were 100% true then DP wouldn't be a T1 in pubs.
* Doom - Hint: Don't get an afk jungle midas into radiance. Help your goddamn team and buy a mek or something if you have to. Playing Doom will help you learn to itemize appropriately, however I will call you an jerk for picking this. Note that Doom is an easy counter to bullshit like Tinker and Void if you're good.
* Faceless Void - Use chronos to set up fights and lockdown a few key heroes. Go off or safe lane, build treads into MoM maelstrom get solo kills after MoM. Go win the game, maybe buy a bkb
* Lycanthrope - Practice this guy, he's best on Dire so ban it against them always. Figure out the 9 minute Rosh then take all the towers and win all the games. You want to always ban this against Dire.
Tier 2s are powerful and can win games for you. They are just solid picks that you should always be aware of. Also note that the last 3 T2s (Enigma, Invoker, Brew) are powerful but skill inhibited, meaning that they are less likely to be played and banned because people like me are lazy and dumb.
* Razor- Closer to a Tier 1.5, a Razor with mek and aghs can win a ranked game with easy bot teammates. Razor is strong against exclusive right clickers and often wins his lane leading him to have a significant impact in the midgame. Razor brings everything but a disable and fits in many lineups in the mid or safelane.
* Shadow Shaman - Rhasta is a partial snowball hero. He is incredibly reliant on early tower gold. If you start using your ultimate defensively, things are going really poorly. Ping the shit out of towers, use your ult, take the tower- snowball and win the game. Rhasta is a powerful lockdown support that pushes and does damage in fights which is why he is valued so highly. I value pushers in pubs over fighters and gankers because they are easier for my teammates to execute- Rhasta just does everything provided he gets a good start.
* Tidehunter - One of the best solo offlanes with anchor smash. You can do ancients and win games with your ultimate. Tide is my go-to second pick guy. He doesn't afraid of anything in fights after winning them with his ult and stands in front for your shitty sniper/drow/ranged dps or supports.
* Tinker - Better on Radiant. It's actually helpful to practice Tinker in bot games. Playing Tinker helped me with my item hotkeys and blinking and shift queueing. Tinker doesn't gank and can be shut down early so you want strong lanes with this guy.
* Brewmaster - Controls the shit out of early fights. Don't fuck with this guy. Like seriously even last ban him if the other team has no mid or safelane, you're scared and you want to have a fun time in the early game. He just wins teamfights by himself as he is his own +2.
* Enigma - Good, but I don't play it. Pushes, fights, and farms well. Easy to learn in bot matches.
* Invoker - He's good. I'm too dumb to play him though. Can push, gank, or fight.
HEROES YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT
* Alchemist - LEARN SUPPORT ALCHEMIST. It is so good. Roams like a champion, counter pushes and can do ancients and Rosh with a medallion. Draft 3rd or 4th and make them think it's a carry, then decide after. For some reason if you pick this for someone to carry with they will always try to farm until they're 12 slotted and do nothing the entire game- whatever. I stand by this guy as a solid T3, as long as you master the hot potato, you are able to contribute minus armor and tanky, standing in front-ness in fights.
* Bloodseeker - This guy punishes greedy heroes and junglers. The silence is really good and the maphack is great for shutting down junglers.
* Centaur Warrunner - Great offlaner and initiator. Make your dudes run fast. Get a blink. He fits in the same offlane slot as Tidehunter.
* Clockwerk - An offlaner that initiates and makes space early, fallen out of favor a bit. People like to group up and he gets messed up when he goes in.
* Dazzle - Armor shenanigans, mediocre sustain. Good vs heavy physical damage lineups.
* Lich - Punish greedy lanes and use the armor on towers against heavy minion pushes and vs Death Prophet or something.
* Mirana - if you are feeling uncreative, it's very versatile. As a roamer she can help out in a difficult mid matchup and contribute to ganks and escapes with her ult since people rarely buy detection in pubs
* Nature's Prophet - go make stuff happen and take towers. Never midas first.
* Silencer - If you see some team fight bullshit.
* Skywrath Mage - Damage support with a silence. It's a flavor of the month thing. It happens that silences are really good in the current meta against bullshit like Brewmaster and Ember Spirit as well as other heroes like Weaver. To make it even better, there's no cast time, only turn rate, range, and movespeed all of which are average or above average on sky. Skywrath is also valued for his 1600 range initiation slow and massive damage that makes him his own +1 in ganks and fights. I prefer Rhasta when given the option because I believe Sky requires more skill to impact the game whereas SS can just push and do Rosh in any game. Otherwise Sky is an extremely solid pick approaching a T2.
* Treeant Protector - Protect your dumb diving teammates. Heal your poor oft-abused towers.
* Viper - Win lane gets mek, theeeen I have no idea- win early. Actually I got this nugget from the other thread: " One of the strengths of Viper is that easily kited melee carries are hard countered by his ult, as it goes through BKB. If they pick one of those, and don't counter you with say, Silencer, you guarantee having a strong hero against two cores, because you can punish mid enough to put them behind." -u/Letsgetgoodat
* Warlock - You saw C9 do it. No. Your guy not buy wards and will rush an Aghs Refresher and that's all you'll get. Warlock is a good zoner and counter initiator with his ultimate. He is zoner because he only does stuff in a lane where you have an advantage like in a 2v1 because he contributes no stun to a 2v2.
* Witch Doctor - Extremely underrated right now he brings really decent laning, fighting, and sustain. I highly recommend in a 5 manny strat.
* Wraith King - WK approaches a T2 but I find that there are usually better alternatives like Centaur and Alchemist. WK is stronger in a death ball as a support and blink initiator if you can coordinate that. I don't rate him very highly, but he's actually good- maybe a little difficult to fit in a lineup.
That's the easy shit, I am not too great at drafting I just pick the high tier shit and build the team from there. Take any remaining T1s or Razor from the first stage or a T2 that you really like and then if you can't think of a good 2nd pick then I recommend Tidehunter, Rhasta, or Skywrath. I try to communicate with my team, but usually they'll just ask for stupid shit or to play carry. Listen to them, but the draft is a huge component of the game. Assume your lineup will be played at its lowest level unless you instruct them otherwise.
If you see the most godamn scary hard carry, take a lion, rhasta, or bane and lock that shit down. If you see illusion assholes, then you want to be aggressive and punish their greed when they don't have stats, get some AOE or good chasers or gankers just in case. I actually think Spirit Breaker is decent against elusive dick heroes like NP, Terrorblade, PL, Sniper, Drow- Bloodseeker is also another good pick against these assholes. If you see huge magic damage teamfight bullshit then silencer is your go-to guy or take something like a support Naga and sing and avoid that shit.
The one thing that is extremely hard to deal with is the 5 man death ball that uses a DK, DP, Pugna, or Necrolyte. Attempt to disassemble these in the draft, but against them I can't really say what's good besides split pushing and avoiding fights which is hard to do in uncoordinated pubs.
That's what I can think of off the top of my head, of course if I don't get captain, I'm gonna be a salty piece of shit and try to backseat draft. If this happens, I will try to remind the moron of the T1s and the really annoying T2s like Razor, radiant Tinker, and Shadow Shaman. Then he'll ban Riki or some dumb shit.
Good Luck, Have Fun.